Sensitive Mommy: 7 Fast 4th of July Treats
Making quick, kid-friendly holiday treats is an absolute necessity when you or you child has celiac disease. We all enjoy parties and holidays with festive decor and treats, same goes for those with celiac disease, food allergies, and food sensitivities. It is important to be aware that people want to feel included in the festivities, they want to eat the 4th of July cookies and cakes, not eat the meal and desserts they had to prepare at home and bring to a party. It make my son feel singled out and then he starts getting cranky or whiny. And I, as his parent, start having to make promises of fun snacks another day. He is ok with that, but it is not fun.
So here are my fast, easy and festive 4th of July ideas:
Independence Parfait layer blueberry yogurt (almond, coconut, dairy, or soy) with whipped coconut cream, and raspberries.
Red, White, & Blue Italian Ice - these will freeze in a snap. Bring the whole box to the BBQ because all the kids are bound to want one too.
Brach’s Red, White, & Blue Candy Corn - super cute. Easy decoration for a gluten free cupcake or cookie.
Seasonal Tootsie Pops - a great treat as you impatiently wait for the fireworks to start.
Jelly-Filled Cookie Muffins- these are super fun, and while not super festive, they are delicious.
- Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 1⁄3 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup Jelly
- Don’t follow the directions on the box.
- Mix together the cookie mix, eggs, oil and vanilla. This recipe doubles the amount of egg, which creates a more muffin like texture.
- The next step will vary based on what pan you chose. I used a sicone mini-muffin pan.
- I placed a tablespoon of batter into each muffin space, then later a teaspoon of jelly, lastly add another layer of batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Times will vary based on type and size of pan used.
- Allow the Cookie Muffins to cool in pan.
- Enjoy or freeze for future treat needs.
I also love these 4th of July recipes:
Red, White, and Blueberry Popsicle by A Dash of Megnut - while a bit more time consuming, they are worth it!
Black Bean Salsa from Goodbye Bread and Cheese** - not festive, but it is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Need more ideas…
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken & Avocado
- The Best Taco Dip
- Chop Chop Rainbow Guacamole
- Cheddar Broccoli Salad
Hope you have a wonderful Independance Day!